Donor Bill of Rights
Charitable Giving is based on voluntary action for the common good. To ensure that Charitable Giving merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes that they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively or their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving ont he organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assure that their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization, or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted for mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful, and forthright answers.
The Donor Bill of Rights was created in 2001 by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE). It has been endorsed by numerous organizations.
Kansas City Christian (KCC) respects the pricavy of its benefactors and constituency, and maintains strict confidence about its benefactors. KCC retains and updates personal information, including name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, as well as self-reported information. Information is used only by KCC to assure accurate records and to assist the school in its development program.